Thursday, March 5, 2009

THE POST-VALENTINE'S DAY SHOW (For Saps and Haters Alike)

It has taken some time to get the details up for February 15th's show as I have been dying of consumption. OK, perhaps that's a tad hyperbolic but I have been gacking my lungs out for a month. At showtime I was merely mid-gack but somehow managed to make it through.

I was thrilled by the turnout (probably due mostly to Barbara Bindasová's kickass article - see previous post) but also nervous as performing in front of HJ first-timers and passing out is gauche. Fortunately, that didn't happen. Actually, it almost did but I'm not gonna fess up and say when. Suffice it to say the audience wanted the hard stuff and I did my best to deliver.

Here's what went down:

Act 1:

Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive (Had a friend going through a hard time that night - this was for him)
Rod Stewart - Maggie May (My personal fav Stewart song...um...not that's there's many)
Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of the Heart (I love getting a group of 5o people to go, "turn around.")
AC/DC - TNT (I have absolutely no idea why on Earth after 15 years of intensive classical training I can do an excellent Bon Scott)
Eric Clapton - Tears in Heaven (The older my son gets the harder it becomes to sing this)
Alphacat (aka Iman Crossman) - Whatever I Like (Obama parody of T.I's "Whatever You Like") (If you've seen the you tube video then it's the bomb diggity. I had the impression most of them had not seen it. They should rectify that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-yJBsjatW0 )
Irene Cara - Fame (Me: Remember my name: - The Audience: uh...fame)
Sound of Music - The Lonely Goatherd (Have I ever mentioned that I am unable to yodel?)
Hollies - He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother (I love love love singing this song)
Dusty Springfield - Son of a Preacher Man (Two of my brothers-in-law are preachers. I don't want to get with any of their kids. This song is getting harder to do)
Helena Vondráčková - Sladké mámení (Don't EVEN get me started but can I just say...how many háčeks really need to be in every sentence of this song?!?!?!)

Act 2:

Proclaimers - 500 Miles (It's always fun to mock my countrymen)
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under the Bridge (I tried to get my Anthony Kiedis moves on but am afraid to have failed quite dreadfully)
Killers - Mr. Brightside (My friend Alasdair Bouch does a fab acoustic version of this)
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody (I do believe that the audience truly wished for me to die in front of them)
Schubert - Ave Maria (Then they felt bad and asked for me to send them into a reverent state)
Whitney Houston - Where Do Broken Hearts Go (I always loved the roses in the video...like anyone cares)
Sir Mix-A-Lot - Baby Got Back (Doing this in an evening gown never gets old)
Asia - Heat of the Moment (MUST find someone to go to Zlín with me this month to see Asia!!!)

Medley:

Bette Midler -Wind Beneath My Wings
Salt-N-Pepa - Push It
Limp Bizkit - Nookie
Ramones - I Wanna Be Sedated
Blondie - Call Me
Salt-N-Pepa - Shoop
Violent Femmes - Blister in the Sun
Fugeez - Killing Me Softly
R.E.M. - Nightswimming
Cure - Just Like Heaven
Family Guy - Theme Song
Traditional - Happy Birthday
Monty Python - Brave Sir Robin
Presidents of the United States of America - Peaches
Starship - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now
Madonna - Material Girl
Evita - Don't Cry for Me Argentina
Air Supply - All Out of Love
Bon Jovi - Bed of Roses
O-Zone - Dragostea din tei
New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle
Limahl - The Neverending Story
Journey - Lights
Starland Vocal Band - Afternoon Delight
Disney - It's a Small World
Loverboy - Working for the Weekend
Madonna - Live to Tell
Weezer - Buddy Holly
Imogen Heap - Hide and Seek
Elton John - Can You Feel the Love Tonight
Beyoncé - Single Ladies
Tina Turner - What's Love Got to Do With It
Foo Fighters - Everlong
U2 - With or Without You
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Guns-N-Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine
Sound of Music - Doe, a Deer
James Blunt - You're Beautiful
Eddie Money - Take Me Home Tonight
Wham! - Careless Whisper
Madama Butterfly - Un bel dì
Children's Song - Wheels on the Bus
Christmas Song - Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
Don Giovanni - Opening of Commendatore Scene
Coolio - Gangsta's Paradise
Eric Carmen - Hungry Eyes
Grease - Look at Me, I'm Sandra Dee
Phantom of the Opera - Think of Me
Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin
Journey - Don't Stop Believin'
Duran Duran - Rio
Bette Midler - Wind Beneath My Wings
Bette Midler - From a Distance
Andrea Bocelli - Con Te Partiro
Das Rheingold - Weiche, Wotan
Bryan Adams - Summer of '69
Tom Jones - Sex Bomb
Children's Song - Itsy, Bitsy Spider
Erasure - Bizarre Love Triangle
Liza Minnelli - Come On, Get Happy
Bangles - Eternal Flame
Alex Lloyd - Amazing
Tom Petty & Steve Nicks - Stop Draggin' My Heart Around
Frank Sinatra - My Way
Bon Jovi - Living on a Prayer
Aneta Langerová - Voda živá

Many thanks to all who attended and the newbies who took a chance on a bizarre show!

:-)


No comments: