Wednesday, November 18, 2009

THE JUKEBOX GOES TO CHURCH (AKA Guesting at a Vernissage in a Church)

How utterly surprised and honored was I when my friend Pavel Kopecký asked me to sing at his art opening on Wednesday, November 9th? Being that the event would be taking place in a church we wanted to select songs that would reflect art, reverence, respect and comfort. Pavel asked me to open with some classical and wrap up the evening with a medley.

After several friends had been introduced and demonstrated their work I opened up with:

Schubert - Der Tod und das Mädchen
Gluck - Orfeo ed Euridice - Che farò senza Euridice
Soon Ah Will be Done (Traditional Negro Spiritual)

We then spent about an hour and a half studying and enjoying Pavel's invigorating, thought-provoking, colorful and downright trippy collection.

Then it was medley time. Despite my asking people to keep in mind that we were in a place of worship albeit a very liberal one, I had a hard time keeping a straight face as while singing I had to skip such numerous classics as "Like a Prayer", "I Touch Myself", "Sex Bomb", "Like a Virgin", "Heaven is a Place on Earth", "The Devil Made Me Do It", "Son of a Preacher Man", "Just Like Heaven", "Save a Prayer", "Faith" and "It's a Sin". However, some did slip by me. See if you can spot them!

R.E.M. - Everybody Hurts
U2 - With or Without You
Shania Twain - That Don't Impress Me Much
Bon Jovi - Livin' on a Prayer
Toto - Africa
KISS - I Was Made for Loving You
Aneta Langerová – Voda živá
AC/DC - TNT
Roxette - It Must Have Been Love
Blondie - Heart of Glass
Czech Christmas Song - Tichá noc
Survivor - Eye of the Tiger
Lionel Richie - Angel
Proclaimers - I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)
Boney-M - Rasputin
Lionel Richie - Hello
Journey - Lights
Coolio - Gangsta's Paradise
Michael Jackson - You Are Not Alone
10,000 Maniacs - Because the Night
Celine Dion - A New Day Has Come
Traditional - Happy Birthday
Bon Jovi - You Give Love a Bad Name
Who - You Better, You Bet
Christmas Song - O Come All Ye Faithful (to be honest after trying to censor all the earlier stuff the minute I saw "Oh Come..." I thought, "What song is THIS?!?!?!" Then I realized how very low my mind had sunk)
The Wizard of Oz - Somewhere Over the Rainbow
No Doubt - Don't Speak
A-ha - Take on Me
Monty Python and the Holy Grail - Brave Sir Robin
Geri Halliwell - It's Raining Men
Duran Duran - The Chauffeur
Cher - Believe
Duran Duran - Hungry Like the Wolf
Alanis Morrissette - Thank U
Lionel Richie - Running with the Night
Tori Amos - China
Dire Straits - Romeo and Juliet
Dido - Thank You
Phantom of the Opera - Think of Me

I am so grateful to Pavel for having me as his guest. I had one of the best evenings I can remember having in a long time. To view his artistry please visit:

http://galeriekopecky.net/

And if you're on Facebook and you'd like to see photos from that night please visit:

http://tinyurl.com/HJatVernissage

:-)

No comments: