Sunday, October 19, 2008

THE BIRTH OF THE HUMAN JUKEBOX (In Case Anybody Gives a Crap)

The show started as a bizarre lark sometime in the 90's. My best friend Zdena would drag me out of the corner of whichever place we were in and order me to sing. Being that she was the first person to ever support my singing (when I was 10) I have always felt obligated to satisfy her - musically. that is. Anyway, she'd have me sing some standard pop song and I figured that would be it. But then someone would ask if I knew something else. And then someone else had a request. And it would go on from there often for a few hours. Seemed that I knew a lot of songs. Having studied opera for 15 years I also knew stuff that wasn't found on FM radio or in clubs. And anyone who knows me knows that I just can't get enough rap. So in 2004 in Prague when I was offered a space to perform anything I wanted I wondered if I could create a show based around this.

I decided to make a list of all the songs I knew by heart. First I went through my CD collection. Then I went through the Billboard Top 100 of the past 30 years. I realized that I knew a lot more than I thought I did. When I added them together it came to over 1,000 songs and I just honestly thought it would be hilarious to try to pull it off as an actual show.

My friends turned out on opening night but they confessed it was mostly for pity as they figured I was nuts. There's no question about my being nuts but in the end the show acually worked. I had an incredible amount of fun and people wanted more. And so the Human Jukebox was born.

In the beginning it was once a month and eventually developed into once a week. Then I got pregnant. I find that tolerant as many audiences may be, they simply don't appreciate being puked upon so alas the Jukebox had to be unplugged. My son Atreyu is now two, I haven't puked in awhile and it's high time to get this up and running again. See next post.

No comments: