Tuesday, October 28, 2008

GRIEF ( I Don't Know What Else to Say)

This space is supposed to be where I recap the events of my last show. It's supposed to be where I list the songs performed, post photos and share any anecdotes that helped to make the night special. I won't be doing that in this post.

Immediately after the first act ended it was announced that a man who had earlier had a heart attack in the bar had died. Out of respect for his family I won't disclose his full name. But he was Czech so it's OK that I let you know that his name was Honza.

We decided it was best to cancel the rest of the show.

Now I'd like to tell you a little bit about Honza. He was a friend of a good friend of mine. I only met him twice but immediately after meeting him I liked him immensely. He had bright twinkly blue eyes that were full of humor and mischief. And he had a huge smile that put you at ease. In one of the evenings I spent with him he kept me in stitches with his irreverent and intellectual humor. He told me that once my show was up and running again he would come. I thought, "yeah yeah everybody says that" but secretly I was hoping that he would. I am truly honored that he did.

Joost made a good point. What better than to plan a night out with a friend, go to the bar, order a cup of coffee and then head on to whatever comes next for all of us? I've always said that I hope I go at a concert and not on the metro on the way to something I hate.

I'll stop now. But I'd really like to thank the staff of Divadlo Na Zabradli and the guests who attended my performance for the utmost care and respect that they showed during a situation where really no one khows what they are expected to be doing.

A bunch of my friends and I drank a substantial amount in Honza's honor late Sunday night but I'm gonna go have another.

1 comment:

Kristin B said...

You opened your show with a gospel song that was gorgeous and electrifying. What a beautiful send-off into the next world, and I'm sure Honza's spirit was right there with us. Will you sing at my funeral? :-) --Kristin